16 July 2008

See, I told you? Video Entertainment in 2013 Will Be Less Than 50% Traditional TV

More market research in the US reveals more about Life After YouTube (and Hulu, and broadband, and mobile video!).
TV is fading away in the sense we know it.
Mediapost, quoting Solutions Research Group on a study covering US media consumer behaviour, says: "While daily time with TV will remain close to 4 hours, traditional TV's share of the total video entertainment pie is projected to shrink from 63.9% today to 47.1% by 2013, given the overall increase consumers' in total video-based entertainment consumption"
It kind of validates a lot of stuff I have been writing on this blog since it began in 2005.
Am I supposed to say: Watch this space?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the title says is the opposite of what I read in the body of your post, Madhavan. Or am I reading something wrong here?

Madhavan said...

hi Sunil. Thanks, but effectively, what I mean to point out is the previous blogs I have written on how online video will lead to the fall of conventional television, particularly the notion of prime-time. perhaps clicking on the "television" tag can bring forth a few items. Maybe I should have been more elaborate: While it may be true that TV watching may not decline as such, it will become a part of the overall video experience. And I suspect the distinction is blurring because digital and DTH broadcasting are effectively making even the normal cable programme effectively a download. Video-on-demand will accentuate that, especially with set-top boxes that can take more memory and easier transactional frameworks.