17 August 2008

The Medium and the Massage

I have to say a lot, but I am saying very little. This blog has been silent for a week, not in spite of, but because of too much going on in my head. At work, yes -- and that took away my time. My computer was acting up both at home and work --- and that took away my convenience.
But more important, I attended a television awards seminar and function, visited a Hindi newspaper's swank office and chanced by the studio of a well-known channel to meet a friend. Yet, I have not found the time to pour out what I saw and felt.
Above all, I had this experience of an anonymous commenter saying this blogger was "full of yourself" -- which provoked thought -- even if I were to dismiss it as the ranting of a PR person upset over my criticism of her/his tribe (as the post was at the end of a caustic reference to PR)
Of course, this blog does reflect my view of things, but then, this was the right moment to pause. I need to figure out why people see "me" when I see an "it!".
I have learnt a lot writing this blog -- about readers, viewers, peers, partners, technology, Internet and myself.
I have been deeply disappointed -- but not surprised -- by the lack of numbers in comments but then this is because this is not a gossipy blog and it is not even newsy in the what's-in-it-for-me sense that most careerists seek out the media these days, irrespective of what career they are in.
Time was when the media was about a large, wide social interface, and time was when issues were discussed in a broader context.
The movement of this blog gives me a lot about what has changed.
I have also learnt hell of a lot about blogging itself -- and what it can mean to people of various kinds. To that extent, I see it as successful experiment.
No money, no ads, not even rah-rah comments by the dozens. But I still feel richer. There must be something to it.

4 comments:

Meera said...

Its a good thing that you blogged about that comment!

Blogs are supposed to be unedited versions of oneself and so they should be full of it!

Keep up the blogging!

:0)

Asal Tamil Penn said...

Ayyo, nasty comments aa? I always tell them to freeyavidu.

Unknown said...

Sir how u doing... I'm the mellu from jeypore... still working on mission critical, enterprise ready products, promising greater ROI :).

Hope you remember me. Was just browsing through and found your blog. Very interesting.

Madhavan said...

Many thanks, Meera and ATP, for your kind words of encouragement.
viralv--why does that sound familiar? I can't place you immediately but it does ring a bell...amnesia? senility?